Bad Schussenried (Schußenried)

http://www.mygermancity.com/bad-schussenried-webcams

Flag of the City

Wallfahrtskirche St. Peter und Paul in Steinhausen Bad Schussenried (Schußenried) is a town in Upper Swabia in the district of Biberach, state of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Bad Schussenried lies on the Schußen river, geographically between Ulm and Lake Constance. It lies on the Upper Swabian Baroque Route. Its church and baroque library feature impressive architecture and artwork, including intricate ceiling frescoes. Bad Schußenried has about 9,000 inhabitants. Oswald Metzger, a former Green party, now Christian Democratic politician and cyclist Rolf Gölz, who won a silver medal in the 1984 Summer Olympics, are from Bad Schußenried. The world champion women trick cyclists are also from Bad Schussenried.

The town is home to one or more prehistoric pile-dwelling (or stilt house) settlements that are part of the Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps UNESCO World Heritage Site. Archaeological findings provided evidence of a prehistoric settlement in the region. In 1866 they found the camp of Paleolithic hunter-gatherers. These were the first Paleolithic finds in Central Europe. Above all, the nearby Federsee. In Aichbühl, about 1.5 km north of the income source was the end of the 19th Century, discovered during excavations in the mud of the mire Federsee Neolithic pile and mud villages. Archaeologists in 2009 found four Neolithic wheels in deposits of a former lake. The maple wood was dated by dendrochronology to about 2897 BC. The axel fragments belong to the final portion of the Neolithic age. The finds are unique for scientific research into the art and history of transport in the region.

Pfarrkirche St. Magnus mit Chorgestühl und Klostermuseum Shuozenried was mentioned for the first time in documents in 1153; yet around 700 AD the was a parish church for a Suzzenried village (presumably the same). Schußenried Abbey, a former monastery founded in 1183, is located in Bad Schussenried and the city's history is closely connected with it. On February 25, 1803, the imperial abbey was secularized and passed to the Counts of Sternberg-Manderscheid. Three years later, Schussenried became part of the Kingdom of Württemberg. About 30 years later the monastery was sold to the Kingdom of Württemberg. Thereafter was built (in 1837) a steel mill (now William Mill of SHW Wasseralfingen GmbH) on the site of the oldest holdings. By-the-way, don't miss the Abbey Church located in the town of Zwiefalten, about 45 minutes north. It has a similar history, dating from the 11th century. It has been rebuilt in the Baroque style after being destroyed in the German Peasant War. Its façade is having a major uplift in 2012.

A few buildings survive from the original monastery founded in 1183. Most notable is the former Abbey of the Norbertine Order (Order of Prémontré). Begun in 1748, a new building program was started for the whole monastery on a different site. The plans were delivered by Dominic Zimmermann, and a wooden model was obtained. The Construction Supervisor was James Emele, who was appointed in 1750 as the monastery builder. The project followed the model of the Abbey at Wiblingen, which held pieces of the Holy Cross. Both monasteries are characterized by their outstanding library rooms on the north wing of the monastery grounds. A chapter house (for the monks) on the eastern side was begun in the early 19th Century but canceled. Dating from the Middle Ages, in a Baroque style, just in front of the new monastery grounds is the St. Magnus Church (Pfarrkirche), having a three-aisled basilica style with Baroque interior, including the choir stalls of Georg Anton Machein and ceiling frescoes by Johannes Zick. The church should have been replaced by a new building but that never came to fruition. Öffnungszeiten des Mühlenladens: Montag bis Freitag, 8 bis 12 Uhr und von 14 bis 17 Uhr. Mittwoch Nachmittag geschlossen. Mühlenbesichtigungen jederzeit auch außerhalb der Geschäftszeiten möglich (ab 15 Personen unter Voranmeldung).

Bad Schußenried is located on the Swabian Spa Route. The area has several Museums. An open-air museum is in Kürnbach district, a representative collection of upper Swabian village life. The museum was founded in 1969, where the Upper Swabian peasant houses were added to the original location that otherwise could not be obtained. The thatched roof house in 1664, the only onsite original, sits among a real village with 31 buildings and furnishings from over six centuries. The Schwäbische Eisenbahnverein (Swabian Railway Club) ( also in the Kürnbach district of Bad Schussenried) maintains the 1.1 km long "steam train Kürnbach".

* Bad Schußenried possesses a beer stein museum -- the Schussenrieder Bierkrug Museum. So, we have a cultural duty to visit this site. The Bierkrugmuseum in Bad Schussenried is Germany's first museum of its kind and most well-known. It contains a collection of Ott family beer mugs, in all sizes from five centuries. At the Schussenrieder brewery (also of the Ott family), also displays the third largest collection of world mountain crystal.
* The Pilgrimage (St. James trail) Museum called the "Old Forge" is in Steinhausen district.
* The Whirlpool mill is called "Ailinger"
* The Carriage Museum of the family Mayerföls is also in the area.
* The Württemberg dialect Archives and Museum is in Bad Schussenried -- the folks speak a different dialect here, among themselves.
* Also to be viewed are the monastery Museum, Bad Schussenried; Library Hall in the former convent Schussenried; Interior of the Chancel and Choir in the former abbey church of St. Magnus.

Pilgrimage Church of Saints Peter and Paul in nearby Steinhausen (circa 1728-31): The pilgrimage church of Sts. Peter and Paul in the village of Steinhausen is considered a major work of Dominic. It is as cheerful and playful symbol of the Upper Swabian Baroque style. It remains a destination for many tourists. The frequently heard term "most beautiful village church in the world" is rather misleading, as the "Village Church" was built as a sanctuary by the rich monastery at Schussenried; moreover, it would be entirely too large for a pure village church because of this size. The builder of the monastery abbot Didakus Schussenried, a native of Biberach, was reprimanded due to significant construction cost overrun by an ecclesiastical court of his order and transferred away for discipline. Near to Steinhausen passes the historic St. James trail, which ends in Santiago de Compostela in NW Spain. The trail (one of several branches, wanders into France and heads SW, before it crosses the French-Spanish border in the heart of the Pyrenees. Steinhausen remains a rest-station on the section from Ulm to Lake Constance. Since 2009, the Upper Swabian St. James trail technically now runs through the village. Many people again walk the long pilgrimage route from many different starting points. Detailed Map is here.

The sumptuously furnished (also late Baroque) Kirke (church) of St. Oswald in the district Otterswang was built in 1770, and in 1972, renovated thoroughly. The Church in Reichenbach was built in 1460. Called the church of San Sebastiano, Blasius and Agatha it completely was remodeled in 1704 and later restored several times.

Castles, yes we have Burgen (Kasteels) or Schlösser (Chateaux). Think of rock fortified houses, not DisneyLand: Hervetsweiler Castle, Castle Kürnbach, the ruin at Otterswang, Reichenbach Castle, Castle Rowing Hill, Castle Schussenried (Old Hospital), Castle Schussenried (New Hospital). From Bad Schussenried come the Swabian rock groups and Grachmusikoff Schwoißfuaß. The brass band music publisher Alfred Burger also has its headquarters in Bad Schussenried. The train station (Haubtbahnhof on the East side of town) serves located on the Southern Railway (Schussenried line) Ulm-Friedrichshafen. The northern section to Ulm can be used in public transport with the pass from the Danube-Iller-transport network.

Am Federsee the train: the first section of the narrow-gauge railway Schussenried-Riedlingen was built in 1896. In 1915, the range extends up to 1916 Dürmentingen again to Riedlingen. Between 1960 and 1969, the company had completed the whole system. Today the rails of the freight route still exists in the peat area (but converted to standard gauge). Since 2002, this route has been abandoned.

Peat recovery was once a significant industry, but no longer is. A major employer in town remains the center of Psychiatry, a hospital for psychiatry and psychotherapy, which holds 256 beds. The Nazi's, however tortured people here, so one might want to mark it off the sightseeing list, although there are important unrelated structures on the grounds. Other major employers are the Swabian smelters (SHW) and the Concrete Division of the Liebherr Group. Weather: http://www.wetter.com/deutschland/bad_schussenried/DE0000692.html (auf deutsch und Centigrade) -- The town website: http://www.bad-schussenried.de/ -- Click on the British flag to view a brief discussion in English. http://www.bad-schussenried.de/2244_DEU_WWW.php Click to see full screen image

The "Internationale Deutsche Bartmeisterschaft" -- Time: 14:30 clock Location: Schussenrieder tankard exhibit-hall on April 21st.

The International German Beard and Mustache Championships were held on the Schussenrieder Brewery grounds. About 150 "bearded" participants participated in the April 21, 2012, event, in order to pit their facial prowess in defined categories. The honor of achieving first place the International German Championship titles goes to only a few, and is something to be cherished over a lifetime. A total of 18 individual world champions were determined on that day

The contest was held for the first time ever in the region of Upper Swabia ! Beard popularity is growing right across the nation -- next year the World Championship takes place in Stuttgart. Beard are the most natural means of expressing a man's most primal question, What (Who) am I ? Each participant must wrestle with the question anew, and experience the surprising results of realizing again (reclaiming if you will) a bit of personal freedom, thereby, feeling again of being a master of one's own competitive fate. Also, one obtains in facial-hair contests some collective freedom. The twists and curls of hair remain alluring, thus truly amazing what such a small margin around the mouth and chin can do.

In addition to the many beards from Germany, friends from Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Belgium and England, as well as from Sweden and Norway were expected. The USA, was well-represented with about a dozen entries. The gates of the Brewery opened at 11am for the public to view and admire the beards on display {the contest started at 2:30}. The entire event was begun with the traditional team parade. The event was covered by the BBC, ORF, Baden and Bayern media, as well as Der Spiegel -- just to mention a few. A Whisker Wars episode will also feature the event (2012-13 season on IFC).

N  †


Modern Map to go Here

S

A few German Cities: Lörrach {twin city of Sens} -- Mainz -- Trier and Aachen -- Frankfurt -- Köln / Cologne -- Dresden -- Essen -- Duisburg, Düsseldorf und Dortmund -- Düren, Bonn und Koblenz -- Baden-Baden, Karlsruhe, Speyer, Kaiserslautern und Saarbrücken -- Mannheim, Worms, Darmstadt und Würzburg -- Magdeburg, Halle (Saale), Dessau und Leipzig -- Münster -- Lübeck, Kiel, Rostock und Schwerin -- Fulda, Kassel und Erfurt -- Lorch (Württemberg), Schwäbisch_Gmünd, Ulm, Augsburg, Ingolstadt und Regensburg -- Heidelberg, Heilbronn, Karlsruhe und Stuttgart -- Ahr Valley Wines -- Switzerland: Bern, Basel and Zürich

Celtic/Frank History -- Germaniæ Historiæ -- Anglo Saxons et.al.



Current Newsletter

New: 04/15/12